Sunday, January 4, 2009

My Parenthetical Nightmare.

It all began with a stupid little sentence.












It was a long night.

It was a long (and rather boring) night.

It was a long (and rather - but not too - boring) night.

It was a long (and rather - but not, and especially not, too - boring) night.

It was a long (and rather - but not, and - even if I say so myself - especially not, too - boring) night.

It was a long (and rather - but not, and - even if I (since I ought to know) say so myself - especially not, too - boring) night.

It was a long (and rather - but not, and - even if I (since - especially since - I ought to know) say so myself - especially not, too - boring) night.

It was a long ( and rather - but not, and - even if I (since - especially, considering I'm an authority, since - I ought to know) say so myself - especially not, too - boring ) night.

It was a long (and rather - but not, and - even if I (since - especially, considering (since I am the author) I'm an authority, since - I ought to know) say so myself - especially not, too - boring) night.

It was a long (and rather - but not, and - even if I (since - especially, considering (since I am, and you know this to be true, the author) I'm an authority, since - I ought to know) say so myself - especially not, too - boring) night.






















" And one might ask 'If a single sentence takes so long to say so little, is it still a single sentence?'"


3 comments:

Anushka said...

This in an extremely original (and may I add- I suppose I may, for it is a compliment, and not an interference- humorous) blogpost :D

(The smiley was the saviour.)

The repeated use of parenthesis in the preceding sentence was the de-saviour.


Ok, I'm really sorry, you don't deserve this.

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

heh, love the use of the em dash :D

is this a result of rhet/comp classes?

solleymata said...

Fake Metallica t-shirt